Monday, August 17, 2009

VIDEO: Brad Pitt Emphasizes Support for Marriage Equality, Tells Opponents, "Let's Stop the Nonsense."

Last week, Brad Pitt appeared on the Today show and once again stated his support for marriage equality. On Friday, he spoke on Real Time with Bill Maher and went into more detail, calling for those who oppose marriage equality to "stop the nonsense."



Transcript thanks to Towleroad.

Said Pitt: "You know, I grew up in a religious family, in a religious community and it just doesn't make sense to me. It just doesn't work for me in the long run. I never wanted to step on anyone else's religion and their beliefs -- that's what's great about our country -- until I started seeing it defining policy. ... Like gay marriage, you have a group of people telling other people how to live their lives, and you can't do that....I just say you have to, you really have to check what country you're living in because the freedom that allows you to practice religion is the same freedom you're stepping on. That's not right. And I want to add that if there was a nation of gay married couples who were telling you you couldn't practice your religion, I'd be speaking up for you too. So, let's stop the nonsense."

I like how the show gave Brad Pitt the title of "activist" rather than actor. With all his work in helping restore New Orleans as well as his political drive for equality in many facets of society, I would have to agree with that description.

You're not just any pretty boy. Keep up the good work, Brad.

No comments:

Post a Comment